Re: Phantom Grip

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Phantom Grip
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 14:32:00 -0500
Cc: wsthompson@thicko.net
Always a bit late on responses, but I do have a Phantom Grip that I bought
from Jacques and had Bill Perry update.  It has the stiffer track "clutch
springs" in it.  I have noticed nothing negative on the street with this.
On the track, there is less wheel spin-- in most circumstances-- but more in
others.  The PG is essentially a torque-sensing differential clutch.  It
works great as long as there is some torque being transmitted to each wheel.
If you lift an inside tire, or if it completely breaks loose, or if it loses
contact after an abrupt undulation on the track (like if you run over a
corner worker's arm, or something), you have zero torque transmitting to
that wheel and therefore zero "locking".

Bill Perry explained it to me, but I sure would benefit if someone can
explain to me how that works.

Anyway, if money were no object, I think there are better systems to use.
For the bucks though, it is an improvement over an open rearend.

B.H. Trauma, Professor of Physics and Applied Vehicle Dynamics