car runs/need help - progress update

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: car runs/need help - progress update
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 09:27:09 EDT
My brother (a great natural mechanic) and I (not so much) are suspecting fuel
delivery problems after the following experiment:

We revved it to maybe 2,800 and held it there.  After about 10-15 seconds of
running beautifully it started dying off and dropping revs.  This was in
neutral, no load.

Our theory is that fuel delivery is not what it should be and the effect we
noticed was the result of emptying the float bowl then not being able to keep
it full.  I have a universal looking elec. fuel pump in the trunk.  My brother
suggested running 8 feet of fuel line right off that pump out the trunk lid
over to the carb and seeing whether it ran better, maybe a metal line is kinked
or whatever.  If not maybe the pump is bad, or the pickup clogged.  At this
point suspect maybe the line after the pump b/c I put a hose on the pump into a
coffee can and within two seconds it had an inch and half of gas in the can.
Of course this doesn't mean it will perform under pressure.

Will keep you posted and thanks.

Mark M.