Re: Innocenti 950 parts

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Innocenti 950 parts
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 17:59:51 -0400
Is he the guy that bought the car on ebay a couple of years ago?

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but assuming he doesn't need anything
mechanical or Lucas, or unique to the Innocenti Spider, he should
contact any supplier of Italian electrical parts. Other than that, he
might be able to find parts at auto flea markets if he can recognize the
parts, because suppliers don't have any idea what you're talking about
when you ask them about Innocenti parts.

So as not to be short on the topic, I'll offer some additional info for
those interested.

Jim Hill in CA has a count of Innocenti spiders in the States of
approximately 28 but that includes unregistered cars, so the count of
running and registered cars is likely very low.. He compiled a register
of sorts a few years ago. Personally I think there are more than that.

Anything specific to the Innocenti Spider, basically has to be sourced
from someone parting out a car. There are a few guys in Italy doing so
at the moment. One of them wants as much for single items as complete
cars have sold for in the States. ebay is another source but owners are
paying "jewelry" prices for almost anything that appears.

I understand that one new owner, whose name I won't mention, paid $1,000
for a pair of NOS taillights. Totally ridiculous in my opinion.

The last good car that sold was an extremely nice original car, being
sold by the family of the original owner and that car changed hands for
$12,000. You CANNOT assemble an original Innocenti spider for that
money. So if you're going to start spending $1,000 here and $500 there,
you're going to spend way more than the market value for these cars.

Outside of the mechanicals, the gauges, and the electrics, EVERYTHING
for these cars is unique. I have 2 shells that I would love to sell, but
they are worthless because of the cost of the parts to assemble/complete
the cars, IF you can find the parts. IF.

There used to be a tiny Yahoo list for these cars but it is inactive.
There are/were about 12 members. When I solicited other members to share
in the cost of manufacturing some of the unique parts, not one person
responded. Not one.

So unless the interest of the current owners changes, I don't see much
possibility of anything new being made.

--

jay fishbein
wallingford, ct