Installation of Head - Any Tips?

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Installation of Head - Any Tips?
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:39:07 -0400
I know that this has been hashed out before, but I'm getting ready to
install a new head tonight (shaved Longman GT17).  Since this head has
longer stem valves and is shaved by 0.050", I know that I'll need to do some
shimming to get the geometry correct.

First, as far as shimming goes, what should I look for in making sure that
the geometry is correct?  Should I determine the correct number of shims
without installing the head gasket first, then repull the head to install
the gasket?

Second, any tips or tricks that you've used to ensure good had gasket
sealing?  I'm using the ARP studs with the appropriate lubricant (9 studs
only) and I've got the tightening order.  I'm using the APT comp head gasket
as well.

Thanks!  E-mail directly as I typically get the digest!

Jackson Zimmermann
jzimmerm@albemarle.org <mailto:jzimmerm@albemarle.org>
'64 Sprite (1275 & 5-speed)