Have gone nuts, need HELP with ACE Mercury Midget Wheel Covers

To: "Assn" <SpridgetAssn@justbrits.com>, "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Have gone nuts, need HELP with ACE Mercury Midget Wheel Covers
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 18:18:47 -0500
I finally got a set of ace mercury wheel covers in a real size 13 that I'm
95% sure are correct for my 62 Midget.  This is now my 3rd set...the others
were thought to be 13" but are 14" probably for B's.  Seems these suckers
are easily misidentified and misunderstood which brings me to my question.
How do they attach?  Initially I thought they were held on by simply pushing
in place like "normal" wheel covers, but that won't work.  The center hub
"MG crest" has a threaded stud with a rubber washer.  I have finally come to
the conclusion they must be held in place by screwing them onto an threaded
bracket of some sort probably held in place between the lugs and the rims.
This most likely would also explain why these things are so hard to find
since any attempt to "pry off" would destroy the cover.  Can anyone confirm
or deny that these things are held in place with the threaded stud and
better yet provide a picture of the bracket or (I'm dreaming) have a set of
brackets for sale?

Matt Endicott
62 Midget