Re: fuel smell

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: fuel smell
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 19:56:33 +0100
On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 09:03:48AM -0400, Robert E. Shlafer wrote:
> Antony...
>
> Symptom:  "gasoline smell"
>
> Categories:
>
> A. Leak
>          1. raw gasoline

Does leak mean drip drip or can fuel kind of subtly make it's way
through old, decrepit pipe walls with no visible sign?

>          2. vapor recovery system
> B. Crankcase gases (leaking.....as I
>     assume PCV system properly hooked        up?)

It's a UK car.  Not sure if I have all that stuff.  I'll look it up in
the manual.

> C. Exhaust
>            1.leaking

That's a possibility.

>            2.running on the "rich" side

Also, alas, a possibility, although those carbs were in mighty fine
shape last time I looked.  I'm tempted to get one of those coloured
spark plug things...