Re: Valve job question-- No political content

To: <John.Deikis@med.va.gov>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Valve job question-- No political content
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 13:28:59 -0700
Hi John,

That might simply be "Olde Fashioned" advice.  Certainly, the valves should
leak little, but that isn't a real world test.  With an engine operating at
3500 RPM, figure out how long each valve is in contact with the seat,
contacting 1750 times per minute, or contacting a little over 29 times a
second.  Does overnight tell you a lot?

I didn't see stated that you had new valve guides installed at seat and
valve grind time.  That needs to be done in most cases, too.  Lapping is no
longer needed with today's precision machinery for grinding seats and valves
along with new guides.  Can't control valve angles and contact points by
lapping them in with likely a pretty coarse compound.

Later, Paul A