Introduction on rain.CC.Lehigh.EDU

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Introduction on rain.CC.Lehigh.EDU
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 13:59:22 -0400
Greetings,
I used to race a 62 Sprite in SCCA H/P back in the eighties, and fell in
love with Spridgets. There were some dramatic rules changes during that
time, and when the cost to be competitve escalated, I retreated to the
ranks of Formula Vee for my racing fix. However my love was strong, and
I purchased a basket case 1967 Midget that I said I would restore one
day. That day is here, and I ready to jump in with both feet! I was
delighted to find that there are so many others of like mind! I am still
formulating the complete plan but there is time since I will be doing
sheet metal work and clean up for a while, but I know that I want a
resto/rod. While it is tempting for me to want a reproduction of an SCCA
race car for the street, to drive it as much as I plan I would have to
force myself to make practical choices. To be able to finish this
project in a reasonable amount of time and maintain it's original
character, I am staying with wheels and tires that fit the stock wheel
wells, and all of the modifications, except for the rollbar, will be
bolt-ons. The only Spridget I've driven was a race car, so I'm hoping to
fall back on this group for the many things that are unfamiliar. Can you
swap a later model interior into a 1967, or are there sources that will
supply 1967 carpet, seat, and panel kits in other than black? I am fond
of the Autumn Leaf and Biscuit interior colors of the RB Midgets.
Thanks,
John Caffrey
Whitehall, PA

The first major decision was to stay with wheels and tires that would
fit in the stock wheels wells of a square arch Midget. It wasn't an easy
decision, but now I could forget about three link rears, coilovers,
through the tunnels exhaust, and chassis structural changes.