Get some dielectric grease at your local auto parts store, and coat the battery
terminal connections with it. It will protect the connections from corrosion.
From "Chris King" <cbking at alum.rpi.edu>
Date: 2004/08/09 Mon PM 05:32:04 GMT
Subject: alternator and battery corrosion
I took the Midget into work today. When I went to go to lunch, I got
"click" and no start on the Midget. After futzing with the battery
connections, I got a jump and it started.
As I headed out, I noticed that the voltage gauge showed 15+ volts.
In a U-turn to go to the parts store (figuring the alternator finally
gave out), I hit the lights to see if the voltage would drop. BAM! Dead
as a doornail. Now I'm onb a U-turn in the middle of rt. 22 in Union
County, NJ. Imagine stalling in the middle of the Nurburgring! I fiddled
with the battery connections again, and finally it started on it's own.
Ant the voltmeter showed 13 volts. Much better.
I suspect with the jump the engine was running without the battery fully
connected. Have I fried my alternator? How long might I have until it
There's quite a bit of corrosion on the positive battery clamp. Any tips
on keeping the corrosion down, as I suspect it's the cause of the
intermittent battery contact.
Check out the new British Cars Forum: