Re: haynes and torque value

To: John.Deikis@med.va.gov
Subject: Re: haynes and torque value
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 09:13:54 -0700
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
John,
     All the manuals I have including Bentley say 6 ft-lbs.  That sounds
right.  These screws will snap off VERY easily if you torque too much.
Don't ask me how I know this.  Besides, they don't have to be too tight,
look how many of them there are to seal the sump.
Mike MacLean
60 Sprite
56 BN2

John.Deikis@med.va.gov wrote:

>Putting together my motor, I happen to notice the wildly inaccurate torque
>values listed in the Haynes manual (compared to the factory manual, which I
>assume to be biblical).  How about 20 lbs.ft. for those little bolts that
>hold the sump to the block. My pilfered torque chart shows a max of 6# for
>bolts of that size.
>
>Did anybody at Haynes ever READ that book???

Check out the new British Cars Forum: