Re: Charley

To: "Paul Asgeirsson" <pasgeirsson@worldnet.att.net>, "spridget list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Charley
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 19:02:28 -0400
Orlando and the surrounding area were hit hard. Not as hard as Port
Charolette and Punta Gorda, those poor people. The only thing that kept the
loss of life to the minimum that it was, was the preparations. And no one
can prepare for everything.

The amazing thing here in Orlando was the strength that Charlie retained as
it hit Orlando. It came all the way up from Punta Gorda over land and still
hit Orlando with 95 to 105 mph winds.  Recovery will take time. School is
dismissed at least til Wednesday. They will assess the road condition for
buses and the school damage repairs.  Many areas still without electricity.
My area was lucky, we did not lose water. We lost electricity for only 24
hours. People with or without electricity is very spotty, one block has it,
the next doesn't.

All my damage was minimal. I have one tree in my yard and it is still
standing. However, I have tree debris piled 5 feet high covering my entire
front yard. And that doesn't count the 3 trees downed in my back yard. Two
days of constant clean up and we are making a dent in the debris. All fences
in the area seem to have been obliterated. All the houses on the other side
of the street lost parts of their roofs, none on my side of the street.

I consider our little area here in Orlando extremely lucky. Just driving 4
blocks away looks like a war zone.  Now we are dealing with the rain storms
with the already saturated ground and trees just barely standing.

Oh ya, Cap'n. Bob - I wish I would have been in Jacksonville for this one
too.

Brent