Hurricane Charlie

To: PilotRob@webtv.net
Subject: Hurricane Charlie
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 20:58:02 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Spridgets Digest <spridgets-digest@autox.team.net>
Well my father commented last week on his 80th birthday on what kind of words
of wisdom he had to pass on to his family. His advice, don't wait until you are
80 years old and decide to move to a new house.

That response was tempered with an addendum this week, " It is sometimes good
to be lucky!" My Mom and Dad sold their waterfront property and moved from
Ground Zero at Punta Gorda to Cincinnati, 2 1/2 months ago. I saw a picture of
a home on CNN, 2 blocks further inland from where their house was, with the
roof all ripped off and a wall knocked down.

His further reflections include, "Moving was a total PITA, but experiencing an
up close and personal look at 180 mph wind gusts was not something he wanted to
experience firsthand. Our family is curiously awaiting reports from former
neighbors to see if my parent's old home is still standing.

On another note, I've got a brother and sister who live on Davis Island, right
off of downtown Tampa. Sister and her family left plenty early when ordered to
evacuate. Brother Jeff on the other hand was convinced all of his lifelong
treasures were about to be blown away or looted. He stuck it out until after
1:00 in his apartment and then finally evacuated. I could just see myself doing
a eulogy for him. We're here today to mourn the passing of Jeff Gruber. Now if
he had just left that 12 point buck hanging on the wall of his apartment
instead of trying to take all of him most precious possessions with him....
To each their own. Hey if anyone is interested in some nicely cleared FL lots
for a new homesite, there are plenty to be found in Punta Gorda.

P.S. Well I'd be taking Bugsy with me. Guess I'm a little nuts too.

Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Dayton, OH

Check out the new British Cars Forum: