Re: starter-what's the swank setup? -0400

To: Dbcooper292@aol.com
Subject: Re: starter-what's the swank setup? -0400
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 20:46:06 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Mark...

High compression would be 200psi+ "hot"
with throttle full open. 170 is "hi-normal".
unless this is a "cold" figure or the butter-
flies were not fully open, Mark.

You don't need a gear reduction starter for
this however, Paul A of Morriservice has
them for $200. I've got one and have had
no problems with it. The only reason I picked one up was size. It's much
smaller
and fits in with the Datsun 5 speed/off
engine oil filter arrangement I've got. The
compression of the engine, while excellent doesn't really warrant a GR
starter at all.

Important note here....make sure your
battery is up to snuff under load. These
GR starters have a self-contained solenoid. I have learned the hard way
that
the contacts in these will burn out very
quickly (disc) with a battery not up to snuff
under "load".

Every 3 months (LOF) I therefore do a
"dynamic" battery check for the sake of
the foregoing.