Re: the Saga Continues

To: "Mike MacLean" <macleans@earthlink.net>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: the Saga Continues
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 18:18:26 -0700
I am at about the exact same point in my engine project, and the specs are
VERY similar.  (we must be on the same list!)

I have the Isky pushrods, enlarged the bores in the head but not the block,
uprated lifters, similar cam, 1.5 roller rockers, aluminum head, .060
overbore.  Guess what...I could only get two quarts of oil in before the
entire valve cover was full.  Walked away, and 15 minutes later added two
more.
Engine is now running nicely, but oil pressure is 70 hot idle, and above
90lbs at running rpms.

I too was concerned with oil build up in the valve cover, so I ran the
engine with the valve cover removed, and the oil run off of the rocker
assembly is not that significant.  The pushrod holes are more than
sufficient to drain off the warm oil, which is much thinner when hot anyway.

The difference is that I am running a vented oil cap, and am pulling
crankcase vacuum from the timing cover to the intake.  I am getting an
occasional blue puff after high vacuum run followed by idle.  My plan is to
drop to 5w30 oil with the oil change at 100 miles.  I may also look into a
softer oil bypass relief spring.  There is definetly no need for this much
oil pressure.