Re: Clutch woes

To: "Frank Clarici" <spritenut@exit109.com>
Subject: Re: Clutch woes
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 20:50:42 -0500
Cc: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Ed says:

[QUOTE]

And I MORE than stand by what I said AND what I say because, Frank YOU are
the IDIOT.

PERIOD.

I am taking the Author's Liberty of "sorting" but NOT mis-quoting your
reply.

<<I stand by what I said. Whoever designed the throttle set up on a Healey
  was an idiot!>>

I am SURE, were they alive, Donald M. Healey,C.B.E.,  Geoffrey Healey and
Roger Menadue might have a few words to say about your un-just AND
un-understanding diatribe.

As a mere Spridget "wrench" (and I use the word VERY loosly) you have
absolutely NO understanding of the FACT that the linkage has THREE
functions.

<<And the same guy must have designed the roll up window system. Or was he
just a numbskull?>>

er, WHAT world renowned item have YOU designed AND brought to production
from the ground up, WITH SALES to a consumer base???

As to the actual "design".   I do not know as it is almost a 100 to 1 bet it
was lifted (a word any self-respecting wop ought to know! LOL) from another
manufacturer.  Although said info may not be known, just for you (if I HAVE
to) I might ask some folks that remain with us.  Gee, now that I think of
it, ain't you buddies with Gerry Coker??  Ask him.

<<And if it were not for Sprites, the Healey would be just another little
car. >>

And here folks, we have a TON of BS.

To quote Gary Anderson & Roger Moment from their "Restoration Guide":

"In 1945, he (DMH editor's note) established the Donald Healey Motor
Company, Ltd.".

To the very best of my limited knowledge, Frogeye did not come around until
1958 (THIRTEEN year later??!!) and it was STRICTLY designed as a Price Point
CHEAP LBC.  PERIOD!!

Fast forward to May of '53.  The first Production Big Healeys came off the
line a Longbridge WITH and WITHOUT overdrive (which utilized the same basic
layout YOU have).

So far, still FIVE years away from a Frogeye!!

By Mar. '58 THREE production Model had been built:
BN-1 =___ 10,030 (include 20 prototypes)
BN-2 =____4,604
BN-4 =____ 7,053
TOTAL=__21,687

>From then on another (known) 51317 were built with the SAME O.D./Throttle
Linkage.

As with any marketing campaign, without the Austin-Healey "badge", even
Frogeyes "might" have been WAY ify.  After all, DMH admitted many times to
the fact that it was designed as a CHEAP alternative to a REAL Healey (and
some other price point British cars).

So the bottom line is Frank, WITHOUT DMH etal, YOU (nor anybody else) would
even HAVE much less know about a Sprite (much less a Midget).

So you STILL owe an apology.

Ed

Ed Kaler
'73 Black Tulip MGB (Murial)
'63 BJ-7 (Hortense THE Healey)
Founding Member & Delegate, ILLINI Chapter-AHCA (25+ years)
Member & Tech Contact, AHCUSA

Check out the new British Cars Forum: