Re: Burning oil when using compression breaks

To: "de Brebisson, Cyrille" <cyrille@hp.com>
Subject: Re: Burning oil when using compression breaks
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:38:59 -0400 5.0; U)
Cc: bushwacker4@zoomtown.com, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I agree with the other replies you received: oil seals or guides.  I have always
understood that blue smoke on acceleration meant worn rings, and on
deceleration, valve guides and/or seals.  Compression and leak down tests would
not indicate worn guides or seals, unless they had been really loose for a long
time and wrecked the seats.

"de Brebisson, Cyrille" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Yesterday we went with the local British Car Club for dinner. The drive
> took us over a 7miles up and down hill.
> The guy behind me told me that while doing OK uphill, I was blowing out
> blue smoke (read oil) on the way down when using the friction break (I
> think that this is how you call it in the US, you know when you just
> remove your foot from the accelerator, stay in gear and let the engine
> rev slow down the car). I was doing around 60 at 3500rpm in 4th gear on
> the 1500cc Midget low compression.
>
> Any idea why this is happening and if there is anything that I can do
> (short of rebuilding the engine of course).
> The compression number on the car look normal at around 150 each
> cylinder, but I have never done a leak down test.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: