Re[2]: Block Heaters

To: "Rick Lindsay" <rick@stoolhead.com>
Subject: Re[2]: Block Heaters
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 19:28:56 -0700
Cc: spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Hello Rick,

       you bring up an interesting point...

       although it may (i don't know this part for sure) raise the
       boiling point of water, its heat tranfer rates have been found
       to be inferior to plain water. from my researches i have found
       that some racers use just that, plain water, in their cooling
       systems. but only those that are willing to replace/rebuild
       their engines after a few races or ONE season. this has to do
       with RUST in the journals! .. the 50/50 water/antifreeze
       recommendations are a "one size fits all" solution. also from
       my researches, for summer driving, ordinary conditions, MOST
       applications, about a 20% antifreeze, 80% water offers the best
       compromise between cooling effeciency and rust protection. more
       antifreeze could be needed in the winter, but that depends upon
       local weather condtions. ...

       all that being said, i make it easy on myself, buy the 50/50
       premix, and just pour it in. easy, fast, (not the cheapest). ..

       and oh, i was driving in 95+ degrees in SEATTLE? this summer
       and the temp never went over (a registered) 195 degrees!

--
Best regards,
 Bill                            mailto:pythias@pacifier.com

Check out the new British Cars Forum: