Advance curves

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Advance curves
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 23:25:03 -0400
I was rebuilding a dizzy for my MG to night and I noticed  a couple of things.
As I looked through the parts bin I found on 45D dizzy that had 23 degree
advance curve.  I also had a late model electronic 1500 dizzy (maybe a 76)
and took that apart and it had a whopping 9 degrees advance.  Quite a range.

Since my car is not longer stock I am going to go with the 23 degree advance.
When I am done I would like to get it on a dizzy machine and see if it is 23
degrees and when it hits full advance.

Now for the question, if you have a mechanical advance of 23 degrees how does
the vacuum advance play into the equation?  Are the two numbers just summed?
What is the advantage of the vacuum advance? I guess I need dizzy for
dummies.

Bill Gilroy
77 MG Midget

"life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting " holy sh*t...what
a ride!"

Check out the new British Cars Forum: