Winter tires (NLBC)

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Winter tires (NLBC)
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 11:27:50 -0400
My wife drives a 02 Passat and given her driving style she and I think she
could benefit from a set of winter tire for the car.  Given that this is NJ
she would run them from December to March.  That is a total of 3-5K miles per
year.

Has anyone had a experience with winter tires, either good or bad?

I guess some of the brands I am considering are:

Nokia Hakkapeliita - If I could find them they may be the way to go
Bridgestone Blizzak - appear to be easy to get

and plenty of other choices.

I figure the cost for each tire is going to be anywhere from $80 to $120 per
corner plus I will need to get an extra set of rims.  Money is not the really
the issue, having a good set of tire so my wife stay on the road is much more
important on so many levels, from crap she is hurt to she is fine but you
know who was to cheap to get good tires :-)

In the scheme of things they make great tires for many different things and it
does not make any sense to skimp on them.

Bill Gilroy
77 MG Midget
2002 Volkswagen Passat

"life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting " holy sh*t...what
a ride!"

Check out the new British Cars Forum: