Re: Reliability/Dependability 2004 08:30:24 -0600

To: lewing@sport.rr.com (Lester Ewing)
Subject: Re: Reliability/Dependability 2004 08:30:24 -0600
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 15:57:43 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net (Spridgets \( E-mail\))
LOL...nah, Lester. :):)

You gotta know the vehicle's limitations
by design of 30+ years ago, and what
it takes to make such (archaic?) designs (more?) safe, reliable and
dependable.

As you know...
metal and other "fabrics" have a memory
and unlike us, don't regenerate. With mechanicals, it's always a case of
pay me
now or pay me later.

With no intent to be politically incorrect,
as it is in our relationships with the
"fair sex", there are various ways of
"paying".

With mechanicals....
I prefer to "pay" in the self-control which
comes with discipline in everyday care
and operation by knowledge of design
in terms of my experience with these cars,
rather than by inconvenience and $$$$$.

Our old LBC's have (by today's standards)
archaic suspensions by design. You wanna keep up with the modern BMW,
Toyota, Audi, etc. on rough surfaces...?
OK....but, it's gonna cost you.

And while the motors are pretty much bulletproof (as is most of the
driveline),
Spridget cranks still sit in 3, rather than
5 main bearings. So you wanna rev it
like a modern overhead cam Toyota
"MR"? OK, fine...but, it's gonna cost you.

I'm talkin' "stock" here, not "built",
though I've run "Vizardized" .60 "over"
to the extent of 90HP+ at the rear wheels
and got a reliable, dependable 80K+
out of it before it required "serious" attention. Daily driver used for
commuting
on limited access (good surfaces, mostly)
highways. Stock 4 speed with a 3.7.
Could cruise all day at 4-4.5K

So you can drive it like you stole it without
"thrashing it" or "abusing" it by bearing in mind it's design
limitations of
yesteryear...and as importantly, the
maintenance required for reasonable
service life from such. Be "smooth" and
may the force be with you. :)

Time for a brew with the boys...c'ya.

Cap'n. Bob
     '60 :{)

Participate in Democracy.

"In the end, we will not so much remember the words of our enemies,
but the silence of our friends."  Martin Luther King, Jr.