Electrics - scratchin my head

To: <Spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Electrics - scratchin my head
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 09:15:04 -0500 reply-type=original
    Tracing electrical problems makes my head hurt.  The BE starts up fine
but when key is turned to off the engine keeps on firing.
    I pull off the battery ground and of course the engine shuts down.  I
figure the ignition switch is bad so I swap in a new one but have the same
problem.
    Here's where I get confused.  If I shut off the engine by pulling the
battery ground cable and reattach it I think the engine should restart with
the switch off but it doesn't.
    Any thoughts?  I recently installed a different fuel gauge and
everything was fine the car started and shut off normally.  I did whack the
bottom of the car going about 2mph over one of the Pep Boys speed bumps,
later that day the problem started.  Could the voltage regulator be the
cause if it was jarred by the thumping?  All connections look ok.

Phil Nase
http://home.ptd.net/~nase