RE: LED Lights (again)

To: "Timothy H. Collins" <thcollin@mtu.edu>
Subject: RE: LED Lights (again)
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 20:04:06 -0000
Cc: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Having read this paper on LED lighting and using the data supplied in their
own graph on page 3 of their publication it would appear the LED reaches
full brightness at effective time 0s and the filament bulb around 0.3s
(300m/s).
At 30mph my abacus tells me the vehicle will travel some 1.8m (71in).  This
is about half a car length  Given that a LBC is some 3.6m (140in - ish) long
you would have to be travelling at 60mph for the car length factor to apply.
The voltage loss figures are taken from large goods, commercial vehicles and
double and triple trailers.  Hardly from LBCs! (However, if you consider the
lower voltage created by the resistance of aged corroding LBC connectors and
Prince of Darkness designs they could be very valid!)
The paper may ignore the possibility of the following driver being able to
acknowledge the filament brake light illuminating prior to full illumination
although testing has tried to include this aspect.
Whilst there are benefits from LED use they may not as clear cut as the
paper suggests.  It may eventually get down to the old argument of
'originality - v - practicality' with a daily driver getting greater benefit
from LED's.
Don't forget they don't have the current draw required for flasher unit
operation if you want to use them for indicators - although there seem to be
ways round this.

Guy R Day

p.s.  If I were racing I wouldn't want the guy behind to know when I started
braking and might fit an 'early/late brake light switch' to confuse the
opposition!