Re: Bugeye rear bumper/support??

To: David Woerpel <dwoerpel@wi.net>
Subject: Re: Bugeye rear bumper/support??
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 15:15:47 -0600
Cc: "Spridgets (E-mail)" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
On Nov 9, 2004, at 1:09 PM, David Woerpel wrote:

> Lester,
>
> The "U" shaped upper bracket is upside down so the curve is up and the
> open side down.  The long leg attaches to the car with a single bolt.
> The short leg attaches to the bumperette.

Ok, there's one problem solved..

> The bottom "J" shaped bracket has two holes in the long leg that
> attach through the bottom of the trunk (boot); the curved part has a
> single hole that matches up with the bumperette.

..got that part fine..

> There is a single (for each side) buttress, inside the trunk.  It too
> is somewhat "J" shaped.  More of a triangle of sheet steel with a
> flanged edge.  The long edge has 2 captive nuts that match the holes
> in the lower bracket, the curved edge has a single captive nut for the
> upper bracket.

..and therein lies the rub, it would appear that I have *almost* the
right buttress.  Mine lines up fine in the trunk BUT the hole where the
upper bracket should meet is fully 1/2" below where the hole is through
the body.  I am now of the opinion that I have the wrong buttresses for
a bugeye.  What other spridgets used the buttresses?

> Hope this helps.  Let me know if you want pictures and I will send
> them to you off list.

Thanks, this helps a lot!

Lester