Re: 1500 intake question Nov 2004 17:49:35 -0800

To: davriker@pacbell.net (David Riker)
Subject: Re: 1500 intake question Nov 2004 17:49:35 -0800
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 01:30:13 -0500
Cc: ckotting@wideopenwest.com (Chris K), spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I dunno why you guys have such problems with SU's...really.

I can see that the "biased" needle emission types are a PITA and I've no
real experience with the HIF types but
the fixed needle HS types I've used
(as supplied from the factory) have been
a dream to work with...seriously.

Tune 'em once using the book procedure
and an airflow meter (Unisyn) and that's
about it until next year. They've even got
a little tool for centering the jet perfectly
which I've had to do all of maybe 3 or 4
times in my lifetime I think.

I liked my Weber on my PO'd highly
tuned 1340 but for my present low/mid-
range "torquer" the stock SU's work just
fine (rapid flow velocity I guess). I mean
the car really does go like a raped ape.

We'll shortly be replacing the stock
"log" with an APT supplied Maniflow
which should remove the stock set-ups
main obstruction to even more velocity
at the ports.

Incidentally, Vizard shows a 45DCOE
has nothing over a pair of 2" SU's when
the latter have been modified for the track...except you don't have to
modify
the "45" for the same purpose at all of
course! And I know I've read articles in
Grassroots on Spridget racing wherein
similiar cars equipped with above SU's
actually beat the Weber equipped guys
(I know Frank is gonna refute this and
will probably truck bomb me, but
so help me God it's true!:)

Well...whatever floats your boat I guess.

Cap'n. Bob
     '60 :{)