Re: Original Intended Life Span of a Type A

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Original Intended Life Span of a Type A
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 23:20:27 EST
In a message dated 12/2/04 11:54:22 AM, KrkLH@cs.com writes:

> Motor.  I have heard different things about the intended life spans of the
> 948 and 1275 engines.  Were they originally designed to be pretty much used
> up
> by the time they hit 50k miles?
>
> I have a 948 with an original 64k miles on it and a rebuilt 1275 in my
> Bugeye.  The 1275 only has about 100 miles on it.

No.   The driver's handbook contains detail instructions for oiling every
nipple and greasing every zerk fitting, and changing oil every 3000 miles, and
maintenance schedule up to 64000 miles when a full rebuild with rings and/or
overbore is indicated.   We pretty much kept to the schedule with the 948 and
it was going strong at 120K when we sold it.   During   the same period, we
were using the 1275, which we had balanced and did a minor rebuild just in
case
at 2000 miles, and following a similar maintenance schedule.   When it reached
64K, we did a full rebuild and   it too is going strong at about 75K miles.
That is the extent of our knowledge, which has to do mostly with well
maintained engines from the outset.   YMMV and others have had far more
extensive
experience with engines that have "been around the track" a few times.

Annice & Bob
1960 Bugeye (Mk. IV in disguise) "The Sprite"
1966 Sprite Mk. III (Still in Boxes) "Trevor"