Re: [midgetsprite] Re: Out and about today...

To: PilotRob@webtv.net (Robert E. Shlafer), midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [midgetsprite] Re: Out and about today...
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 18:25:51 -0600
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Cap'n Bob sez:
>It sounds like the PO knew what he was
>doing with the emissions stuff and it certainly seems so in addition of
>the single 1.75 SU carb and manifold as well.
>along with the fact he kept the PCV system. The latter alone is a pretty
>good
>indication the PO knew what he was doing.

Yeah, I think you are right. He was an Aussie living in Dallas, TX and
had a B and the Midget. He'd had the Midget for years and had already
done some work on it. All his work looks pretty quality.

>The best "baseline" SU oil I know of is the
>SU carb. oil sold by MOSS and the other
>usual suspects. The carbs don't care about oil "additive packages". Just
>don't use synthetic.

I'll order some. I can't remember what oil I used to put in the TC carbs
but that was a long time ago...

>There is one other thing about the carb
>(and intake system in general) I forgot to
>mention...vacuum leaks. The spindles
>on the carb can be worn, allowing in excess air. Same with any part of
>the intake system. Of course, as you know,
>this will lean out the A/F mix.
>
>You can test by spraying small amounts
>of carb cleaner about the system with the
>engine running. Be carefull. Watch your eyes and have a firex handy just
>in case.. ...you never know.

It's a pretty new looking carb but I'll give that a try in a day or two
with the carb cleaner....

>My mechanic uses a programmable timing
>light, but any timing light can be used to
>check at least "advance" movement of the
>timing mark against the front pulley marks. It's gotta be advancing to
>one extent or another or it just wouldn't "go".
>
>Test for air leaks in the intake system and
>then advance or retard a COUPLE of degrees from where you have it but
>first...what octane fuel are you using???

It's got 89 octane in it now.  I may try some 91 to 92 but that's
about as high as I can get around here unless I sneak around behind
the hanger at the airport and swipe some 100 AVGAS   ;-)

Took it out for about 2 hours again today and it ran well. The stumble
is only occasional. I also notice that if I choke it a little when it starts
to stumble that clears it up so maybe it is fuel related??

Cheers!!
Jim - reasonably happy in Dodge City

*Jim Johnson                  BMW Motorcycle and Bluegrass Nut  *
*1001 First
Ave                                                   Meteorologist*
*Dodge City, KS 67801                                        Home Brewer*
*home = <jimj@starrtech.net>  work = <jim.johnson@noaa.gov>*
*620-225-4703                                  cell = 620-408-6877*
* Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving     *
*safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to slide acoss *
*the finish line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking   *
*oil, and shouting GERONIMO!!!  - Bill McKenna -                       *