Re: Engine backplate question...

To: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Engine backplate question...
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:43:26 -0600 reply-type=original
>I wondered that myself - a 1275 backplate is a purty hefty hunk of iron.

<grin>

I had the engine mounted to an engine stand with the top two bolts through
the plate only (the bottom two were through the plate into the block).  I
was trying to loosen the front pulley/crank bolt, and had a breaker bar on
it.  I was bearing down on the breaker bar when I heard a pop and felt
something move.  At first, I thought I'd broken something on the engine
stand, but when I looked at the plate, I noticed it was in two pieces.  It
broke pretty much dead center (horizontally) through the center opening
through the middle of the bolt holes that line up with the center opening.
I was a little surprised that it broke.

BTW, I've found a replacement backplate.  David Lieb was kind enough to
offer me his old one (thanks David!).

Kurtis Jones
Russellville, Arkansas
1963 TR4 - CT19389L