Painting rubber bumpers

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Painting rubber bumpers
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 9:35:25 -0500
A friend over on the MGS list (a.k.a. MGB list)
asked about painting/refinishing rubber bumper
cars.  Having just done this on my Land Rover I
responded.  And as we face the same issue, I have
copied the note here:

YES!  SEM makes a flexible rubber bumper
refinisher.  I have used it on a number of cars
including my Ferrari and my Land Rover.

http://www.stoolhead.com/lr.jpg

The bumper of this rover has a rubber/plastic
cover and it was nasty, blotchy gray.  It's now
a matte black.  The finish on my Ferrari's bumpers
is 2 years old and doing great.

http://www.stoolhead.com/Ferrari/Grille.jpg

I also used this finish on my '79 MGB but don't
have any pictures of the car on the web site.

I will be using the same finish on my RB '76
Midget once spring rolls around.  Just make sure
the spray can is up to 70+ degrees or the paint
doesn't atomize well.  Also, paint only when its
dry or the evaporation of the propellent, which
cools the part, will cause condensation.  Winter
painting is a pain.

Enjoy!

Rick / Tulsa