Re: 1904-2004 now who flew first?

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: 1904-2004 now who flew first?
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 20:52:25 -0600 reply-type=original with any abuse report
> hmm i guess the controversy about whitehead being airborne before the
> wright brothers is a non issue any more?

Oh goody!!! Now we can get into a discussion about what constitutes flight
and who first succeeded at heavier-than-air flight. In case you are
interested, there was no confirmation of the Wright brothers doing anything
more than building a glider capable of carrying the weight of an engine and
a passenger in 1903. In fact we have nothing but their statements that they
had really achieved true flight prior to having actual witnesses in 1908.
Alberto Santos Dumont, OTOH, had achieved an actual takeoff and landing in
Paris with many witnesses in 1906.
David Lieb