New Rocker Arm Shafts - Heads Up FYI

To: "Healey List" <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>, "Spridget List" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: New Rocker Arm Shafts - Heads Up FYI
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 10:32:02 -0600
Hi All, I'm an experienced builder of Big Healey engines as well as A
block and B block engines.  This happened to me a few days ago.  I was
installing a brand new rocker arm shaft on a big AH engine (29K) and I
checked all the oiling holes to make sure they were open and clear.  The
No.1 (front) hole was totally blocked by the screwed plug in the front
end of the shaft.  Moreover, the screwed plug itself is a 1/2-20 Allen
type and it's about double the length of the original type plug thereby
also blocking the retaining pin holes at the very front end.  What's
more, you cannot reuse the original plug from the old rocker shaft
because it's a different thread diameter.  So what to do??  I haven't
done anything yet but I guess I could screw the plug into place and
drill thru the front oil hole so as to lube the No.1 rocker arm and
drill straight thru the plug by drilling thru the retainer pin holes so
as to lock it in place.  Just remember that you'll need to remove the
plug and clear the shaft of drill debris.  The down side of all this is
an unsuspecting builder could have an expensive problem if no oil gets
to the front rocker arm.  This is just a heads-up if you're
contemplating a new rocker arm shaft.  This bad example came from M***
but this post is certainly not intended to bash them in any way...it's
just FYI.
Jack