SK carb; Mallory dual-point

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: SK carb; Mallory dual-point
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 21:28:24 -0800
Hi all.  A friend gave me several MGB items recently; and I thought I'd ask
"the advice of the group".  I have a reasonably stock '72 GT and a fairly
hopped-up '71 Midget.

One of the items was a used side draft carburetor with intake manifold and K
& N filter.  (I know, I know - everyone needs friends like this!)  The only
marking is "SK".  He indicated that it was a Weber copy, and that's what I
had heard as well.  It appears to be in good shape, and he previously had it
on his B.  Here's what I'm thinking:  First, I don't think that the carb
would make much difference on the GT - but it might on the Midget.  The
Midget has a Kent 276 can, APT head, 1.625 roller rockers, LCB header and
Maniflow exhaust - but just the stock 1 1/4" SU's.  I know that the SU's are
the "gating item" for getting the engine to breath it's best - although they
could be Vizard-ized for some improvement.  Then again, if the SK is a DCOE
45 equivalent, that still might be too much carb.  What do you think?
First, any way to tell if it's a DCOE 40 or 45 equivalent?  Any advice you'd
have, contingent on whether it's one or the other?  And lastly, in any case,
I'd like to send the SK carb out to get refurbished for future use - any
vendor suggestions?

A second item he gave me is a used Mallory dual-point ignition.  I am under
the impression that it would usually be considered an upgrade from stock;
and so I'm planning on having it refurbished at the Nevada Mallory rebuild
facility, finding an extra drive dog somewhere, and using it in my B
(keeping the current for a spare - mechanical advance only on both of them).
Any comments?  I do know that the electronic ignitions are considered to be
the best, but "free" is reasonably inexpensive, and there is something to be
said for "period charm" - especially if you have a backup!

The last item he gave me is a B engine.  (I know, I know - I'm a lucky
guy!).  Still haven't decided if I want to build something to be
supercharged, or naturally aspirated - but due to $, I am free from having
to make that decision right away! . . .

Last note - anybody know where I can get a reasonably priced "B" alternator
pulley?

Thanks very much; and I do want to say that I really enjoy being a list
member, and appreciate your wit and advice.  I hope you all have a pleasant
and uneventful New Year holiday; and lots of happy motoring in the coming
year!