Re: Carburettor mixture problem

To: Healybj8@aol.com
Subject: Re: Carburettor mixture problem
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 09:02:51 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Healybj8@aol.com wrote:
> I'm having trouble with the carbs on a recent purchase of a'73 1275 Midget.
> I cannot turn in the mixture screws enough to keep the thing from running
> rich.  I popped the float bowls and it seems the little adjustor is missing
>from
> the float on the rear carb and I was wondering if that might be the problem?

On the later Midgets, they used a tab to "lock" the adjuster nut.
Bend that tab out of the way, or remove it completely.
Your carb needles may be set to far in also. Pop off the dome, take out
the piston and look at the shoulder of the needle. It should be flush
with the piston base.

There was never any adjuster on the floats. Early cars used the "bend
the tab" method. Later plastic floats need a washer under the needle to
"shim" it to the correct spot.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ