Re: A couple of 1275 rebuild questions...

Subject: Re: A couple of 1275 rebuild questions...
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 18:52:31 -0500
Cc: Kurtis <tr4driver@gmail.com>, Kurtis <kurtisj123@cox.net>, Spridget List <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Charles Christ wrote:

> and what worries me , is you bore a block and finish hone it for a specific
> set of pistons.  if you havea scratch and it needs to be honed out ,

I average a block a year to the machine shop.
I ask for a cleaning, check everything, and a hone.
On my latest block machine work, I was informed that the bores were
perfect. But after the cleaning and honing, the bores had pits along
them from sitting in a damp garage or maybe outside for years.
No choice but to bore it out. You have to get to clean smooth cylinder
walls.
Last year's block had a score in one wall. same thing, bore it out.
So now I have a set of stock piston rings on the shelf since the last 2
blocks needed to be bored out. Maybe the next engine will come up stock
after the machinist checks it out.
Scores in cylinder walls can happen from anything.
I had a wrist pin sneak out a little and that made a real mess of the
cylinder on one engine. Another had a deep scratch probably from
something that got sucked in the intake like a rock or metal bit.
It only has to make one revolution with something stuck in the rings to
mess up a bore.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ