FW: Midget vin number question/wrong years on titles

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: FW: Midget vin number question/wrong years on titles
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:47:51 -0500
> To: Matt Endicott <endicar@comcast.net>; <Pmaloy4@aol.com>;
<spridgets@autox.team.net>
> Date: 01/23/2005 3:58:58 PM
> Subject: Midget vin number question/wrong years on titles
>
> it was not uncommon for cars before the mid 60's to be titled the year it
was sold , not the actual year of manufacture.  my 1959 is titled as a
1961.   for years i thought i owned a 61!   no such luck!  it's a 59!   all
the other numbers on the car indicate it's a '59, and the other numbers are
"close" to each other as they should be.
> it was after tracing my car's racing history that the original buyer
indicated he bought it from a washington DC area dealer in 1961 that it was
cleared up as to why it's titled as the wrong year!  the car being sold as
a green car when it was shipped to america as a cherry red car is a whole
other situation!   it was a common practice for dealers to take a car from
inventory, disconnect the spedo cable and literally take it racing!
probably apalling to most of you but very true!   raced on sunday and
selling cars on monday was a very common practice!   my car was one of
those cars!   to the extent it was raced from 59-61 by the dealer!!!  the
dealer repainted the car and sold it as a brand new car!    that was a
common practice as well!  not to the extent of the repainting but many cars
were treated like this !
> and yes, my car is white!  the first week it was in the new owner's
posession it was repainted white as green was considered "bad luck" by
racers!    the regression of 11 enamel paint jobs during the stripping
revealed 3 white paint jobs over a green paint job over a cherry red
original finish!   the car was repainted evry winter during the off season
when it was raced.
> many car owners never saw rollbar mounting holes drilled in the floors of
their new or used cars!  many cars wich have been sold over the years have
some very interesting history behind them!  most restorers have no idea as
to the reason they had to weld up holes all over their cars floors!   many
pieces of history are long gone or lost due to this.

> chuck.

Sept