Jumpy Timing, No Power - Resolved

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Jumpy Timing, No Power - Resolved
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 13:37:10 EST
All,

Thanks for the replies as I sorted through my latest project.  I now have a
running and driving Midget.

The Jumpy timing was fixed with a new distributor.  There was a great deal of
slop in mine and it had about 40 degrees of jump by my estimation.  Droped in
a rebuilt distributor and the thing ran much better.  (Advance had the best
price and didn't want a core back.  MUCH better than Mo$$)

The low power issue was the # 2 & 3 wires were switched.  I never checked
these and I wonder how the previous owner drove the car with those things
switched.  Swapped those two wires and the car has twice the power.  Go figure!

Next is the carbs.  I balanced these and set the mixture, but when I
re-installed the breathers, the mixture is now running rich.  I suppose this is
due to
the reduced air flow caused by the pressure drop across the filter elements.
They come back off today and I will redo the mixture setting.  Anyone know a
trick for getting this right, or is it simply a trial and error thing where
you guess at the setting re-install the breathers and check for black smoke in
the tail pipe.  The car runs great without the breathers, but not so good with
them on.  SU's!  I hate 'em!

Tim
73 Midget
Fuquay Varina, NC