Voltmeter in Console

To: Frank Clarici <spritenut@exit109.com>, Phil Nase <nase@ptd.net>
Subject: Voltmeter in Console
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 19:26:23 -0500
Cc: "bugeye@yahoogroups" <bugeye@yahoogroups.com>, Spridgets@autox.team.net
>I use a later Midget radio console. . .

Frank has done what I plan to do. Put gauges in the radio console. To
expand on the idea a little, I have had a die made that I can use to press
the same recess shape as the gas and oil/temp gauges rest in. The die
consists of two 3" circles of steel about 7/8" thick. There is a 1/2"
center hole so the top and bottom dies can be aligned. One die half face
has the recess while the other face  has the punch (male half and female
half). I haven't formed a console yet, but have formed a practice piece.
Pressing does tend to wrinkle the metal a little so some metal finishing is
needed after forming. And, I think if I drill a larger hole (than 1/2") in
my work piece first, the distortion will be reduced.

I went to a machinist with my dimensions. He said he would calculate the
clearances between the upper and lower die to account for the thickness of
the sheet metal. He did a good job. Sorry, I don't have a web site where I
can put pics.

Why do this? I just think it will look nice to have the additional gauges
recessed like the main gauges. I plan to fill the seams on the console and
then use black hammerite (crinkle) paint as on the dash. I guess there's no
accounting for personal taste. (Did you see the gowns the stars wore to the
Oscars? <G>?)

Hope this idea inspires others.

Tim Collins
Dollar Bay, MI