Unfriendly Racing Gas Additives

To: fot@autox.team.net ('fot@autox.team.net')
Subject: Unfriendly Racing Gas Additives
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 09:20:56 EST
Sender: owner-fot@autox.team.net
Amici:

Three or four years ago, we were having a tremendous problem with leaky SU
carb floats.  Six or eight failures in ten events.  We assumed it was some new
additive in the racing gas, which the solder in the floats did not like.  We
also determined that an old float lasted longer than the new ones available.

The following year the problem seemed to go away, and we again assumed it was
a change in the racing gas.  Well, it may be back.  Bob Wismer is racing down
south, and in two events (Sebring and Moroso) he has had two leaky floats.
Maybe the gremlin is back.  Worth watching for, anyway.

Bill Dentinger