Reassembling/reinstalling engine: preferred order

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Reassembling/reinstalling engine: preferred order
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 16:30:01 -0600
Hi folks, 62 Mk2 Sprite, body is bare, incl front suspension (rear axle is
installed is all). I'll probably put the front suspension and steering back
together so it'll be a "roller" again so I can position the body where I want
it. The engine block itself is reassembled, head is off as well as most other
things (I do have the front pulley reinstalled). Words of advice needed from
our highly esteemed membership:
Install head prior to reinstalling the engine? pros/cons?
I am assuming I would be correct in installing the oil pan, transmission is a
no-brainer, but what about the slave cylinder? Can't see a reason not to. Fuel
lines/brake lines are also removed at this point, I am replacing the brake
lines, in case someone has an opinion I was going to install the new lines
AFTER the engine is in. . OK, also what about other smaller items such as the
starter, generator, fuel pump, carbs, etc? Assemble onto engine first or
later?
When I removed the engine I just used the head studs (head was off when I
bought it), I am thinking if the head is installed I can use at least one of
the manifold studs on one side, unsure about the other side. If it'd be better
to leave the head off, I have a few of the old head studs, I can use a pair of
those, then reinstall the new studs. Also do the head studs need to be torqued
in to the block?My "local British car parts supplier" mentioned that on one
side, the motor mount (rubber part) should be left on the body bracket on one
side, and the other side it should be installed to the engine plate, anyone
have the skinny on that? Just trying to get a clear "vision" of just how far I
should go in reassembling the engine prior to reinstalling it to the body.
Dan