RE: Plug read and questions

To: "'de Brebisson, Cyrille \(Calculator Division\)'" <cyrille@hp.com>
Subject: RE: Plug read and questions
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 15:08:44 -0800
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
I sure would like to see a compression test. I'm leaning toward a blown head
gasket between 3&4.
                Crash

Hello,

I had a look at the plugs of the midget, and here is what I found:
http://hpmad.homeip.net/mgplugs.jpg
Cylinder 4, 3, 2, 1 from left to right.

As you can see the first 2 cylinders have a lot of deposits on them,
from the Haynes manual, it looks like I have problem with my valve
guides and piston rings on cylinder 3 and 4.
That would be in line with the fact that I have oil going out through
the dip stick....
The other 2 cylinder look ok, maybe a little bit hot..

Is that also what you would read on these plugs?

Then, the question is, what do/should/can I do (with minimum money)?
- how much does it cost to get the valve guide replaced (parts and cost
from machine chop)?
- should I do anything with the cylinders/pistons? How much does that
run (part and machine chop)
- rings?
- is there any other cost that I will incur (replacing gaskets,
studs...)
- anything else cheap that I should do while I have my head in the
engine?
- any advices, warning from the experienced people from the group?

Thanks, cyrille