Re: Breaking In Oil

To: cfchrist@earthlink.net, bpazur@excel.net, team-thicko@autox.team.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Breaking In Oil
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:29:08 EST
Hi Bud,

I think a lot also depends on what sort of RPM you use when running in.  If
the engine has a fast road cam then using 'off the cam, rpm' might be pretty
tedious.

I like to use a cheap 20/50 for the first 500 and then a decent 20/50 for the
next 500 or so.  If the rings have bedded in nicely (neglible to zero blowby
in the oil catch tank (good reason for having a catch tank) its time for 15/50
Mobil One full synthetic.

Chuck makes a good point about what the engine builder recommends because
only they know what sort of job they have made of honing the bores (or do I
mean
glaze-busting??) and how long the rings will take to settle in.  I don't know
much about the bedding in of the other bearings (mains, big ends etc) and have
always thought the real issue was how the rings seal.

I once ran in an engine on Mobil 1 Synthetic and from memory in ran in better
then the next rebuild when I used the 20/50 but this probably says more about
the rpm and way I ran in the engine (ok for short burst of high rpm....)and
generally the use of a Synthetic for running in is not recommended.  If you
have any feel for the engine your'll feel the engine getting looser and more
willing to rev and rev quicker though maybe for a standard engine rather than a
fast road car engine this may well not be the case.

Regards

Daniel1312