red hot headers

To: "fot" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: red hot headers
From: "riverside" <riverside@Cedar-Rapids.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 10:18:32 -0700
Sender: owner-fot@autox.team.net
fired up a fresh engine with tube headers last week and the
headers went to glowing red hot and 1000 deg F in about
2 minutes at 1500 rpm.   shut it down.  unfortunately, did not
have an air/fuel meter. last time i did a tractor motor with
cast iron ex manifold, we only got to about 650 and held there.

couple days later ran across an article saying that such a condition
is caused not by a lean mixture, but more likely cam timing or
rich mixture allowing the fire to still be going hard in the header,

don't recall ever getting a TR header that hot.

any comments from the engine guys in our group about the cause of
the glowing headers and hazards to continuous operation.

art de armond