Acceleration Problem - Kinda Long, Sorry

To: "bugeye@yahoogroups.com" <bugeye@yahoogroups.com>, Spridget List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Acceleration Problem - Kinda Long, Sorry
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 19:11:37 -0700
Having a little problem  with bugeye right that I can't get back to
until next weekend, so I thought I would see if the lists have any
suggestions beyond what I've done so far.

Car was running perfectly at beginning of week. Drove it to work on
Monday - ran great. Started out Tuesday morning, but turned back to
house after a mile. Ran okay through neighborhood, seemed a little "off"
but I just thought engine was still cold. But on highway I tried to
accelerate hard, car ran up to about 2500-3000rpms, and would "stutter"
- no power - like it was not getting enough gas.  Tried again the next
day as test - same problem. It didn't matter what gear I was in 1st, 3rd
or 5th, just no power when accelerate hard. Did okay if I eased the
speed up slowly, but you can't survive on California freeway like that.

Saturday I checked fuel system (seemed logical place to start). Fuel
filter between tank & electronic fuel pump was full of cr*p. Replaced
filter, and checked 2nd fuel filter in front of carb, it seemed okay.
Disconnected fuel hose from carb & pumped some gas - flowed okay. Test
drove bugeye - still same problem. Thinking some of that cr*p might be
in carb, I pulled it (SU HIF6) & disassembled & cleaned insides, I saw
nothing obvious. Test drove again - maybe a little better, but nowhere
near good.

Then pulled spark plugs - all 4 running rich - coating of carbon "fuff"
(this seems opposite of problem?). Cleaned and re-gapped them. Checked
distributer - cap, points all seemed fine. Started car - adjusted the
carb to weaken fuel mixture a bit. Still idles just fine. Test drove -
still  "stutters" at hard acceleration or going up hill.

I've looked in my manuals, but didn't see any obvious fixes. The fact
that the engine went from running great to problem seemly overnite has
me puzzled. Was hoping fuel line/filter had a little clog, but that
repair didn't seem to help.

I'm planning on checking timing, and then valve adjustments next
weekend. Anything else I should be looking at? Any and all ideas welcome.

TIA,
Jim Rogers
San Juan Capistrano, CA