Re: Dreaming of an E-type

To: RBHouston@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dreaming of an E-type
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 18:09:02 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com, macsclubhouse@yahoogroups.com
RB,
  As to the model year it's one of the better ones.
The problematic 3.8 was replaced by the much better
4.2 and the tranny was upgraded to the all syncro
unit.  It still has the twin SUs.  If it has a
automatic then it's a BorgeWarner 3 speed slush box
and not easy to find someone to work on it.  Check the
footwells, rocker panels and remove the spare tire as
these are the worse rust areas.  Also look at the
front subframe mounts on the fire wall as these tend
to crack and eventually pull out. The Series I and II
could easily overheat resulting in some serious engine
damage.  Engine bolts break when you are trying to
remove them as they seize to the aluminum block.   As
David Littlefield has all ready pointed out, some of
the repairs can be VERY expensive and labor intensive.
 For example, to rebuild the rear calipers or replace
the discs you have to remove most of the rear
suspension assembly.  Guess how I know....
Now after all these freightening stories I must add,
"GO FOR IT".  I did about 8 mos ago when I purchased a
1973 V12 Automatic 2+2 coupe one owner Florida car
with only 15K on the odo with papers to back it up.
At times I declared I'm going to set fire to it and
walk away but then after a good cruise down a back
road or maybe a quick run on the interstate at 140MPH
I wouldn't sell for anything.  Just my 2 cents.

Bob