Fuel/Air Ratio Gauge and Oxygen Sensors

To: <spridgets-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fuel/Air Ratio Gauge and Oxygen Sensors
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 17:04:58 -0500
Hi all,

Since the MG engine is still partially disassembled, I've decided to hook up
the fuel/air ratio gauge I bought several years back.

I have a few questions concerning the oxygen sensor and it's locations (one
sensor that I can install into several areas, which would be plugged when
not in use)..

My 1500 engine has a 4 port exhaust, going into a 4-2-1 header.  The car is
equipped with dual SUs.

The front carb supplies pistons 1& 2, and the second carb supplies pistons 3
& 4.

The exhaust header has 4 down pipes into 2 into 1.  The exhaust for pistons
1 and 4 collect together, and 2 & 3 collect together before all connecting
in the extension pipe.  Where should I put the oxygen sensor?

I can put two (one in each of the 4-2 connections), I can put one (into the
exhaust pipe or collector itself), or I can put 4 (one into each down pipe).
If I go into the 4-2 connectors, then I have an issue where each sensor
reads from both carbs, so I wouldn't necessarily know which carb to adjust.

Thoughts?

Mike

'78 1500 Midget (my little money pit)