Re: electrolysis question

To: Jay Fishbein <type79@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: electrolysis question
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 16:35:12 -0400
Cc: Spridget List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
On Apr 22, 2005, at 11:10 AM, Jay Fishbein wrote:

> Kevin,
> I'm going to try some electrolysis derusting. I've got everything but
> the sacrificial piece of metal and I am wondering if I can use someting
> that's galvanized since I have some 12" galvanized spikes laying
> around.

Jay,

Sorry, galvanized is not a good choice - It actually hinders the
process and can hurt the piece you are cleaning.

I use  concrete rebar but any steel will do - iron pipe works great
too.  If you are working with small pieces in a small tank - old
stainless steel hose clamps work great and last a lot longer.   I've
even used old parts (cracked A-arms, old pedal boxes, even sheet metal
will work).  Just make sure the current will flow thru the piece by
filing it clean where you clamp the positive wire to it.  And always
keep the Neg (-) wire on the work piece!  Never let the positive wire
submerged in the solution always keep the "sacrificial"  piece sticking
out of the tank enough to attach the clamp.  The neg connection to the
work piece should be submerged - it keeps it clean.

Let me know if you have any other questions...  ;)

Kevin