RE: How to fix - weld or braze?

To: "Timothy H. Collins" <thcollin@mtu.edu>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: How to fix - weld or braze?
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 18:43:14 -0400
tim,
do not braze!  too much radiant heat and you are going to warp evrything
around the repair  wich once cool will infuriate you!   better mig weld it
and try to use some type of heat sink material around the welded area to
reduce warpage.
they usually crack on the outside skin not the inner shell.
cutting the cracks out,(like with a carbide cut off wheel) with a drilled
hole at the terminus of the crack stops the crack.   putting a piece of
filler metal behind and welding the crack shut fixes the cracked area.
grind flat to finish.

chuck.