Re: Grade 8 vs grade 5

To: "Robert E. Shlafer" <PilotRob@webtv.net>, "John Innis" <jdinnis@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Grade 8 vs grade 5
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:48:11 -0500
Cc: "Frank Clarici" <spritenut@exit109.com>, "John" <John.Deikis@med.va.gov>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Guys one of the real keys to quality is making sure you know where the Bolts
came from in the first place....  (USA or Canda only..) here's my take on
what to use...

I use Grade 8 in virtually everything that won't see a Nuke for loading....
yep I use it in suspension components... because I want the actual tension
value on the parts and I can increase the strength of clamping forces on a
grade 8 over that of the grade 5 which has a tendency to stretch beyond what
I consider reasonable....

I do understand the philosophy behind using grade 5 in places that will see
shock loading.... but if you go look at race cars you will see almost pure
grade 8 or AN stuff.... just the way they are built and maintained...

Don't think it's nessesary for the street but never forget that a car only
has an obligation to do two things...... Steer and stop... even starting is
optional...

Keith Turk