Re: Extremely Loud Horns*

To: DLancer7676@cs.com
Subject: Re: Extremely Loud Horns*
Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 13:29:42 -0500
Cc: spritenut@exit109.com, PilotRob@webtv.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
I recommend a pair of electric diaphragm horns rated at 120 db or
more.  There is a set out there (JC Whitney has them, so does my local
auto parts pusher) called freeway blasters that are 130db.  That
should be plenty loud.  You still need a relay, as these will draw a
lot more current than the factory horns, but you will be heard.

In my opinion, this is VERY important.  A lot of folks who drive
exclusively LBC and older cars may not realise how quiet the interiors
of a modern car can be.  Even in my '95 Suburban, I can't here a
police siren until it is within 1/8 mile of me.  An older 85 decibel
horn is useless when you are sharing the road with newer, well
insulated cars.  Not all drivers of Sport Brutality Vehicles are as
vigilant as I am.  If they don't hear you, you will be in danger.

As to the risk of scaring other drivers, even with the BIG air horns
on my suburban, I have never frightened anyone into an abrupt
maneuver.  If you come across a driver who is that easy to rattle,
chances are just about anything would startle them into an abrupt
maneuver.  Having to share the road with such people is not a good
reason to go unheard.

John

--
= Never offend people with style when you   =