'66 Chevy Van "NO LBC" but not even ONE Chinese part

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: '66 Chevy Van "NO LBC" but not even ONE Chinese part
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 02:15:54 -0400
I'm sorry to bomb the list with this, but I'm getting frustrated and any
advise would be appreciated, After all a straight 6 Chevy engine looks much
like a spridget engine and a half.

My trusty '66 Chevy Van hasn't been running very well, it would run, sputter,
pop, run better, warm up, run okay for a while, then performance would quickly
degrade and it would quit. Adjust the choke, it would restart, power up, and
then run for a few seconds or so and miss and die.  This I could do over and
over again.  Not out of gas, full tank, and fresh.

So, I thought I'd go thru the engine, compression test, all cylinders between
110 and 116.  I degrease and pressure wash the engine compartment, let it all
dry out real well. Then, new parts follow;

New Carb (1 barrel carter)
New Distributer (now the vaccuum advance works again)
New Cap, Rotor, Condenser in the new distributer
New Plugs and Wires.
New Coil
New Fuel filter
Even a new battery

I set the points to a nice matchbook thickness or so, The timing is wierd, it
says      A    and     0     and that seems to be it, can anyone tell me what
this means and what the timing should be set at, (also what should the points
be set at?)  It would be nice if you could tell me the correct firing order,
(I think I got it right, but you never know) (I don't really expect anyone to
know this but it doesn't hurt to throw out the questions)

Anyhow, she started right up, and ran WELL, I adjusted the distributer until
she ran even better. And I DID remember to tighen up the distributer. Choke
on, fast idle,  slowly less choke, slow idle, no choke, ran great! Restart,
ran fine, etc. etc. So, I cleaned the tools out, lowered the engine cover and
went for a ride. (Still sounds like a spridget)

Down to the end of the street, turned, went 3 blocks and it started running
exactly like it did before I did anything.   (See paragraph one) I got it back
home, restarting it 30-40 times and getting a few feet at a time, while it
popped, spit, ran crappy/ran well (for 5-10 seconds).

Any idea what I missed here? I realize my setting were approximate, but I've
tuned many cars,   Any help would be appreciated. See you all at Carlisle!

Thanks
George Procyshyn