Re: I need some help

To: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: I need some help
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 16:42:36 -0400
The other day Jerry Goodman asked for help and received a few replys.  Now
it's my turn.
948, Petronix ignition, Lucas gold coil, headers, Weber carb.  I have
basically the same problem, i.e., when I hit 3500-4000rpm under load (any
gear) the engine falters and the exhaust sputters like it's firing out of
order. Let up and the engine runs fine below 3500rpm. Starts, idles, and revs
without a load perfectly.

I've run out of things to do or check.  Here's what I've done/tried/checked:
swapped Webers, swapped intake manifolds, new gaskets for the carbs and
intake/exhaust manifolds, timing check - spot on, valve adjustment, tried 2
other distributors with points, different combinations of distributor
caps/wires/rotors, completely disassembled my main distributor and checked
that everything was free and correct including the little ground wire, tried 4
different coils, new spark plugs, new fuel line from tank to carb, new
electric fuel pump, new fuel filter,  new main wiring harness, hot wired the
ignition switch to rule it out, 3 different voltage regulators, tore one of
the Webers completely apart and checked/blew everything out nothing found
amiss, bypassed the fuel pressure regulator - no difference,  tried another
electric fuel pump, tried running two electric pumps in series, I know there
are a few other things I'm forgetting but none of the above has made any
difference.

The only bad thing I've found was when I did a compression check cylinders 2 &
3 are 10 lbs down from 1 & 4.   Blown head gasket?  Burnt exhaust valves on 2
& 3? No water in the oil, no oil in the water, and the water level hasn't
changed since the problem appeared.

HELP!     If I can't get it going I'm going to miss

Biff Jones
'59 Bugeye 'Kermit'
'61 AH Sprite 'Ole Gray' in "The Healey Book"
'71 Midget 'Freebie"
http://sprites2.homestead.com/